Friday, June 8, 2012

Boulder Stroke and Stride #1


First I’ll recap the Boulder Stroke and Stride last night and then do the rest of the week!

I had a nervous feeling in my stomach all day. I was obsessing over the weather, since Colorado has crazy afternoon storms in the spring, and the season has already started this year. In the morning, there was 60% chance of Tstorms at 6 PM (race time) but luckily as the afternoon approached they got pushed back to 9 PM, so we were in the clear! I went in to work early to leave work early to be up in Boulder by 6. It is an hour drive (without traffic) since I work south of Denver, but hits traffic going through the city. I hit some traffic, but made it up there in just over an hour.

Some background for the race – the Boulder Stroke and Stride is at the Boulder Reservoir. It runs every Thursday during the summer. You can choose from a 750m or 1500m swim followed by a 5K run. Each week is $20, or you can purchase a 6 pack deal. I just did the one race. There are 6 Thursdays before my race, but I already know I can’t go next week. I am hoping to do a few more.
Underground Racing tent
I arrived around 5 and saw some tents and figured that is where to go. I walked up and approached the tents where I received my timing chip, bib #, and I had gotten a shirt too!
I saw some people sitting on a grassy area on their towels, so I pegged this as the transition area, since it was close to the water. I saw people had wrapped the timing chip around their ankle, so I did the same. I set up my towel and got my shoes, etc organized and went back to the car for my wetsuit. The next 30 min or so I just observed everyone coming in and seeing what my pre-race rituals should be. I did pretty good on the packing. I saw some people had cool belts to attach their bib # to, and others were attaching it to a shirt. I am glad I threw one in the bag last minute so I could attach it to the shirt and throw it on for the running portion! The one thing I did forget was sunscreen, it was in the lows 80s and you could feel it! The race director came over the loud speaker about 20 minutes to race time and I saw more people start putting on the wetsuits. Some headed down to the water and had fifteen minutes to warm-up. I wasn’t really sure if I should so I just dunked myself in the water and took it all in.
My bib and shirt!
View from transition to water
Once more people started arriving
The director explained the route, and it seemed FAR! We basically swam about probably 325m then across 100m and back to the shore for another 325m. It looked really long. But I was still feeling confident.

The 1500m race started at 6PM and the 750m race would go off at 6:05PM. It was neat seeing the first race go off, it was tons of splashing and kicking and lots of water all about. They were going quick! There were about 250 total participants split pretty evenly between the two swims.

Next we got in position and he had some fun words before we started. The buzzer rang and we were off! I was positioned in the back of the pack so ran up a little before I dove in. I put my head in to start off and it was SO weird not being able to see! Next thing I knew I was struggling to breath. I couldn’t stop or control my breathing, it was going at rocket speed. I started getting really worried, I was not having a panic attack – but I knew I need to settle down. The was water coming in my mouth making it hard to breath even more-so. I started to just do the free stroke but not put my head under water. I could see there were 5-7 people around me also struggling, with the rest of the pack in front of us. There were kayakers around us if we needed help but I really did NOT want to pull out of my first race. I continued to breath heavy and couldn’t do anything more than keeping my head above water, I even flipped over to my back once and a while. It seemed to go on forever – eventually I made it to the first buoy and started my turn and just kept on trucking. It was pretty bad as I knew my swimming form was NOT good and NOT efficient to preserve my energy. The second side was short so I made the last turn, by this time lots of the swimmers from the 1500m had already lapped me! I tried to stay very far on the outside so I wasn’t in their way. I only got in the way of like 2 people. By this time I was a bit calmer, but my breathing was still super heavy, plus we were looking in to the sun now. I finally realized that between the nerves and the wetsuit constricting me, I couldn’t exhale under water. This was causing all sorts of problems, and obviously why I couldn’t get in to a rhythm. I actually managed to put my head under and do like 2 strokes, on 3 separate occasions. I was feeling pretty down though. I thought – these people are insane, there is NO way I can do this triathlon in 5 weeks! My right calf was tightening up and hard to swim at some points.

I finally made it out of the water and just walked up the beach to the transition. I was feeling kind of dizzy and was wondering if I could even do the run. I got to my towel, started drying my feet and putting on my sneakers. I remembered to start my watch to find the GPS but realized after I left the transition I forgot it at my towel. I grabbed a sip of water and a tiny bite of a Lara bar. I was starting to feel better and was off on my run. I had no watch so had no idea of what my pace was, but just tried to take it easy and slow. There was a small uphill at the beginning and immediately my calves started to tighten up – I had a feeling it was going to be a LONG run. It was an out and back with water at the turn around so I was hoping to make it there for some quick water and back without stopping. It was neat seeing all the other athletes on their way back, or see the athletes that passed me with such speed. My spirits started to brighten a bit. At the one mile mark I thought we had gone a lot further. I had been breathing heavy but started to get in to a better rhythm. I made it to the water, took a quick sip and headed back! I knew I could make it. It was a gorgeous day and the scenery, as usual, was amazing. The course was flat and I was just trying to enjoy myself at that time.

I crossed finish and was a little confused if I should be happy or sad about my performance. I ended up finishing the total course in 56:12.
750m swim: 21:13 (rank 102 out of 116)
Transition: 2:50
5k run: 32:11 (10:23 pace) (rank 99 out of 116)
Overall: 98 of 116
Female: 50 out of 67
If that were a test, I failed miserably! But I am trying to think that I finished it and I should be happy with it! 15% of the people finished below me

I finished 3 out of 5 in my age group! (F25-29). Somehow that seems odd, but I’ll take it.

Afterwards, one of the sponsors, Naked Pizza had about 50 pizzas so I grabbed 2 slices of a good onion and pepper pizza. Drank some water and again just sort of took in the environment. Lots of people seemed to know each other and it seemed like a great community. I headed home and tried to think of how I can better prepare myself and get ready for the race in a short 5 weeks! Aaron also had delicious pancakes when I got home – well deserved I thought!
Post race!
Next Steps
As I reflected of what else I can do, I know practice, practice, practice is key. I was wondering if I should wear the wetsuit at the pool and try swimming in it more? I know there is also a swim clinic before the Stroke and Stride for an hour. I can’t go next week, but in 2 weeks there is the last one. This might be worth it. I also researched some other open water clinics, I found a beginner one this Sunday only 20 minutes away! It is 90 minutes and includes lecture, skills/drills and then water implementation. It didn’t take long to decide that if I want to succeed at the race, I should do as much as I can. It’s a little early for a Sunday, but I’ll just have to end our Saturday evening festivities early.

Week Recap
Monday
AM: abs/pushups/free-weights at the gym
After the good bike on Sunday, and not having a day off in a while I took it easy
Tuesday
AM: 3 mile run at work – did NOT feel good, stopped a lot, but didn’t get much sleep so I was thinking that is why
PM: 11 mile bike ride (round trip distance to and from kickball)

Aaron and I are playing kickball with some of our other friends in a park up North. It makes for a nice additional bike ride there – and we all need some play time right? It is a noncompetitive league and you are required to be holding a beer at all times…it’s pretty awesome! We didn’t win, but had tons of fun. Next weeks theme: dress as your favorite animal. That’ll be easy!
Kels and AA at kickball!
Enjoying kickball!
Hartford Jen - this may have been the grand slam!

Wednesday
AM: abs/pushups/free-weights at the gym
PM: 500m swim – just wanted to get in a few strokes!
Thursday
See above
Friday
AM: abs/pushups/free-weights at gym + 30 min bike ride

Weekend Plans
Aaron and I are headed up to Vail tonight! He is doing the Tough Mudder race with a group from his work. It is an insane 10 mile obstacle course through the mud, while gaining 4000 ft in elevation. His start time is 8 AM! Then we’ll head back and there is a festival on our street with drinks and music from 1PM-10PM on Saturday. Love our new neighborhood! I’ll retire early for the clinic Sunday morning and then we are doing Jazz in the Park Sunday night with some more friends. We’ll bring food and drinks and basically picnic and hangout and listen to Jazz! Love Denver!

HAPPY FRIDAY

7 comments:

  1. Great job! I love the S & S all though those people up there are crazy good. :) I wouldn't worry so much I think you will be ok for the tri. Your report sounded very much like my my first open water swim, which was also the S&S. Your next swim will be better. Just yet in as many as you can before the tri. I think I'm planning to do the S&S the week before the race. Oh and if the open water clinic you are talking about is the one at Grant Ranch, do it...Grant ranch is really nice, I swam there a few times last year.

    good luck to A at the Tougher mudder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Julie! It helps to know others may have had similar experiences and hope that it can only go up from here! Yes, the clinic is at Grant Ranch - I'm excited
      AA said thank you - it was SO hard! But great

      Delete
  2. Very impressive effort--talk about being out of your comfort zone but still persevering! Sounds like you learned a lot that will be valuable in the Tri! Nicely done and very nice writing style--could feel the energy and anxiety throughout the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely lots of anxiety :-) Thanks and thanks for all the continued support :-)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog!! Don't be discouraged with how the race went, you did great! Always run (or tri) your own race and don't worry about anyone else :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice - just focus on myself - thank you!!

      Delete
  4. Girl, you did great! You finished the thing, even though the swim didn't go as planned. That open water swim clinic sounds good... It will give you more confidence and confidence can make all the difference, the next time you are in the washing machine!

    ReplyDelete