Thursday, January 26, 2012

Swimming Week One!

Boy was I nervous!! I had never swam a lap in my life!
I decided to get a 30 visit pass at Wash Park Rec Center. On Tuesdays and Thursdays there is lap swim from 6:30-8 so I figured this would be good to start two times a week and maybe on the weekend if I had time. I had read a lot of posts that I shouldn't be scared if I couldn't do more than one lap!


I had gone to Sports Authority to purchase a swim suit, goggles and a cap! Clearly I need to look the part :-) Don't laugh at my picture - maybe it will be a good before and after - but Aaron wanted one!




There was an open lane so I hopped in the pool put on my goggles, took a deep breath, and just went! The pool is 25m. I did 2 lengths and came up for air. I don't remember much. I kept doing this, a few times I did 4 lengths - but would stop every 2 or 4 laps. I had watched a few youtube videos and read a few articles so I had a few things I wanted to try and keep in mind. Getting breathing right is really important. I'd say it took me 12 or 15 lengths before I got the hang of exhaling in the water. Taking breaths is hard too - I wasn't sure which side to do! I had read beginners should try both so I got in the habit of taking a breath every 3 strokes. I think by the end of the night I had done 25-30 lengths but I definitely lost count. I was out of breath, but, I actually really enjoyed it!


So tonight I went back for round two. My goal this time was 30 lengths. I would do 4 then rest. 2 then rest. Then repeat. So I did 5 of these 4 then 2 sets. Clearly I don't know the swimming lingo yet but it is 4x25 then 2x25 or something. It took about 30 minutes to do and I would say I took about 45 breaths between each set. I was really happy!


I don't want to do too much - so next week I'll probably only add one 4 set and just work on my recovery! I also found a place in Denver where I can take semi-private lessons. I really want to get my form and breathing right :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment