Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Close but no Cigar

So much to update on!
The week leading up to the Bolder Boulder I was still feeling the effects of giving blood!
Monday (5/21)
  • 4.5 mile run
  • Inconsistent at best
I tried running to and around Wash Park. I made it to the Firehouse which is around 2.5 miles and walked a tiny bit, ran another mile, had to walk and struggled the rest of the way home. That was my ‘long’ run for the weekend – not great!
Tuesday (5/22)
  • 25 minutes cycling
  • Abs/push-ups/free weights
Wanted to take it easy and only did a bit of the bike at the gym in addition to some weights
Wednesday (5/23)
  • Treadmill Intervals
  • 3 miles
  • .5 miles @ 6.0, .4 miles @ 6.6, .1 mile @ 7.0 Repeat 2 times
These intervals actually felt really good! It was the first time in a week I had a strong feeling workout! I hadn’t done intervals on the treadmill in a while either, so I was pleased with how it went!
Thursday (5/24)
  • 25 minutes elliptical
  • Abs/push-ups/free weights
Took it easy again and just did elliptical
Friday (5/25)
  • Treadmill run
  • 3 miles @ 6.0 (10 min mile pace)
This run felt pretty good too. I could tell I was getting tired at the end, but I didn’t have much of a problem keeping the pace
Saturday (5/26)
  • Workout = cleaning
No workouts on Saturday – Aaron and I spent the day cleaning the house and preparing for our BBQ (Happy Birthday James!). Then we went and watched other athletes run around at a Rapids game!
Fam at Rapids game
Sunday (5/27)
  • 4.5 mile walk
  • Walked with AA, James and the pups to Wash Park and around
Not much activity the day before the 10K either – made a trip to Wash Park and headed up to Boulder early to check out the race expo on Pearl Street! Here are a few pics My Uncle James (family running inspiration ) flew in for the weekend and registered to be in my wave and run with me! Even though he is much faster.


Ellie on vacation in Boulder
AA set up race cubicles for us!
Uncle James and I at race expo on Pearl St
Almost a Panda
Shenanigans

Monday (5/28)
  • Bolder Boulder – 10K!
  • Finished at 1:02:25 (10:02 pace)
GREAT day!! We were up at 5 and out the hotel by 5:45 to catch the RTD ‘RunRide’ to the start of the race. The race was very well run and it was nice to just take a bus to the start! The buses had certain roads open only to them, so it really helped! The only hitch in the morning was really the line for the ‘Fed Ex’ locker trucks! 15-20 min actually – apparently it isn’t usually that bad! Aaron took off earlier at about 7:15 and James and I left at 7:27:20. We were sort of making fun of the exact times of the waves, but it actual was great. There were volunteers holding the signs and ropes as the waves approached the start line. When we got to the front a bugle sounded the 30 second count down and then we were off!
The course is great and travels all through the city, through neighborhoods and ends in Folsom Field (University of Colorado). There are tons of bands and lots of spectators. A lot of the neighbors come out and drink in their lawns all day. There were people spraying you with hoses, marshmallows and Doritos offered, a slip and slide and much more! There was water at every mile and big signs for every mile AND every Km!
I started out the race (too) strong. This hasn’t happened to me before! Usually whatever I feel comfortable with, is what I can keep for the race, but around mile 3-4 I could tell that I was slowing down and not feeling as strong. I really think giving the blood took away a lot of my endurance! My first mile was 9:40 and I was actually thinking I could hold it for the whole six miles as it felt like a good pace. Unfortunately my lungs were just not prepared to do that (even though I know I had put in the training time for it). The 10K I did last November, I remember feeling so strong through the whole thing – but this was a different feeling. It was still awesome and I’m so glad I was able to make it the whole way! There is a hill as you approach the field which was not fun and I definitely slowed down. James was trying to pace me at the end, since I told him I really wanted to beat 10 min miles, but could tell I was struggling. I ended up being so close, but inside I know I did as much as I could have done for that day, so I am happy! Plus it is a 10K PR for me
The finish in to the stadium was great as you wind around the field and cross at the 50 yard line. The stands were filled with other runners who had finished and other spectators. It takes a while to get through the line, get water, foot tag off, goodie bag, mini bagel, beer, and more. The snacks were great, and there were even Chick-A-Filet sandwiches being given out, so good!
All in all it was a great race, we did not hang out for long as we wanted to get the dogs from the hotel, shower up, and head home for our celebratory Park Burger (notice a trend?) James was very impressed with the race too. He had run the Chicago Marathon with a similar amount of people but said this race you couldn’t tell there were 40,000 other people, whereas in Chicago you were crowded in to all the corrals. He has already convinced Stella to return next year and hopefully it can be an annual tradition!

AA, Amanda, James Post Bolder Boulder


Finish at Folsom Field!

Tuesday (5/29)
  • Tennis
Pretty much a rest day! But Aaron and I played a few games of tennis at the courts across the street! I lost 6-3





Overhead slam!
Wednesday (5/30)
  • Orchard Hills Run
  • 3.2 miles – 34:28 (second fastest time!)
  • 1.5 miles/walk/1.5 miles
I was definitely sore on Tuesday but today I was feeling pretty good (2 amazing nights of sleep) so I decided to see how the run felt today. It was gorgeous out and I’m glad I made it out!
I started making a calendar for the final 7 weeks before the Evergreen Sprint Tri! It is amazing how quickly time flies, and how little there is when I type it all out! We are trying to tackle three 14ers this weekend! (Lincoln/Democrat/Cameron) so that takes up some training time! I am hoping to bike to work tomorrow and swim in the evening. Friday will be a short run then the hike on Saturday. If I am still moving after the hike I’d like to take an elevation bike ride on Sunday…but I don’t want to get ahead of myself

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on the shiny new PR! I heard so many good things about this race, if it wasn't so far away...

    Looking forward to the hiking pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's see, you achieved 99.6% of your goal (10 minute miles); I'd say 'go for the cigar' and enjoy the PR! Very nice write-up and descriptions-felt like we were there with you (except of course, for the hard work and sweat!) in Boulder.

    Incidentally, did you change the default font on your blog--it's very hard to read (at least on Chrome).

    Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya I wrote it out first and copied it in...messed it up somehow!

      Delete
  3. It was a great time, and I am already planning on returning with Stella next year.

    Thanks again for the great hospitality, I really enjoyed my stay with you and Aaron and the dogs!

    Keep up the great work, and you will be consistently running sub 10's very soon.

    Just looked at the official pictures from Monday, there are some great action ones of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't wait for next year! So glad the trip worked out!

      Definitely some great pics from Monday's race - esp liked the ones when we were starting!

      Race over Oct in NE?...I see whispers of it on facebook? Can't wait!

      Delete