Thursday, May 10, 2012

Does Racing Improve Speed?

This weeks workouts have felt good so far! It's a bit of a long post! I think the length and amount of pictures relate to how great I felt after the GoG race :-)

Monday
Kept things simple and did 30 minutes of cycling at the gym and some free weights


Tuesday
AM: 4 mile course - 1.5/1/1 with .2 walk between
Improvement of 1 min and 45 over previous best


I decided to 'spice' up this workout and took pictures as I ran!
I think the race on Saturday helped me realize I can actually run a little faster than I do...I beat my previous best for the course by a minute and 45 seconds! That is a lot for only 4 miles, over 26 seconds per mile!
It wasn't a perfect blue sky day, but it was pretty nice!

Leaving work - about .2 miles to intersection

Running by start of Orchard Hills Park route - which is the 3.2 loop
Pretty flowers above me

On a clear day - this is all the Rocky Mountains - my favorite part of run and ultimate vitamin D kick!

Almost home - Jen's neighborhood!

Middle Earth
Okay so maybe that was not super exciting, but it made the run a little fun! Since I didn't stop they are not the best quality, but after the race on Saturday - this run felt great! I also tried to get some action shots running, but I could never hit the button!

PM: swimming 46 lengths - 15/15/16

I almost forgot to write about the swim! I hadn't been in a few weeks and as always it felt great to get back in the pool! Happy with my progress. I did 3 sets of 15 lengths (added one on last leg to get back to the right side). I am going to try and continue to do more lengths - maybe up to 60? Twice the distance of the open swim. I am still learning what good swim works are!

Wednesday
Rode my bike to work!!
Course was 16.4 miles and gained about 550 ft of elevation. 
As I mentioned after my previous ride home from work, it would take a bit longer since it was all uphill. I was very pleased with my 1 hour and 17 minutes! I was super energized at work too. My goal is to try and do this once a week. I rode the light rail home :-)
Right before entering in Cherry Creek Park
Thursday
AM - 3.2 mile course (intervals) .5/.5/.5, walk .2, .5/.5/.5
improvement of 45 seconds over previous best

Interval training! I decided to do the 3.2 Orchard Hills loop doing intervals - this is one of the things I have been missing in my training.
After reading lots and lots of blogs - I realized that if you hit the 'lap' button on the watch it restarts the auto-lap. I reset mine to .5 miles today so that would be my interval length. Since I walk .2 in the middle - I can just restart the lap and know exactly what I get for my running part after I walk. It is so simple, but I was SO excited that it worked! Can you tell I have never run a lot?

Below are my laps - my plan was to run normal for the first .5 miles, run fast for the 2nd and then recovery for 3rd. Then walk .2 miles and repeat.
The first set of that went great, I had 10 min pace then 9 mile pace then 11 min pace! For the second set, my first and second were almost the same pace (9:45ish) and then cool down of just over 11 min pace. If you take out the running, it works out to a 10:15 min/mile pace. I also beat my previous record for this course by 45 seconds!
.5 mile laps (with .2 walk in the middle)
Wheel of fortune is almost over and I need to stop blogging so I can go swim!

PM: 30 lengths - continuous! 20 minutes

Tonight was a shorter swim, but the longest I have ever done without stopping! I was telling my sister on the way home when I first started I would do 4 lengths and stop for a few breathers. Tonight I did 30 lengths! It is great to see my progress of the past few months!

Rec Center where I swim!

Volleyball craziness at Wash Park - every night of the week!
View from light rail bridge - why I don't drive :-)
Sorry for the length and excess amount of pictures! Lots to update I guess!
Tomorrow I am hoping to do arms/abs/push-ups at the gym. Maybe a little cycling if I am not too tired. Saturday we want to go for a long hike, but the forecast does not look promising!

From all my new blogs - I like how people end with a question. I talked with my sister Molly today who has been doing great on her quest to run her first 5k! We talked about motivation and how this is the first time she has ever looked forward to running! 

What keeps you motivated? What activities are you looking forward to this summer?

2 comments:

  1. Love the details and the pictures--keep them coming! Don't have a good answer to your question as my motivation has been down a bit, but I'm looking forward to being home a bit more and being more active!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for continued support and reading!! :-) I agree pictures are good! Hope the time at home is helping and motivation is up!! I was reading a quote today - "you only regret the workouts you don't do" :-)

      Delete