Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Fitting in Fitness with Family

It has been about ten days since my triathlon and I have been able to continue training while the family was visiting! My mom and sister were staying with us for a bit over a week and we sure did do a lot! I'll focus on the healthy activities ;-)


Horseback Riding
After bfast (and a beer) after the tri we headed home and I napped!! It felt wonderful :-) Soon after my mom, sister and I headed up to Vail! We had a great night walking around the village and eating some great Italian :-) The next morning we headed to go horseback riding! We went in Vail this time (went to Beaver Creek with Aaron's parents) so I was interested to see the difference. Overall I enjoyed Beaver Creek better because the wranglers and the staff were so much friendlier...but the scenery and views were just as great at Vail!
Celebratory Breakfast and Beer at One World Cafe in Evergreen, CO (delicious!)

Exploring Vail Village!

Momma!

Vail behind me!

LOVE Aspens

Can't get enough

Hi Molly!
Running
Since the tri I have gotten in 4 runs! My schedule right now is Tues/Thurs/Weekend. Doing 3-4 miles on Tu/Thurs and then increasing the long run on the weekend by 1 mile each week. This last week AA and I ran to and around Wash Park and back plus a little bit (5+ miles). This was the day after a 14er so it was slow and easy pace!


Biking
Since the tri I have ridden to work twice! Last Wednesday and today. It is tiring, but it is great to have it back in the schedule!


Swimming
I want to get back to the pool! Haven't gone yet though :-(


Kickball
Prom themed :-)
Colfax Libation Army Prom
HikingTwo great hikes!


Chief Mountain, Evergreen, CO
I took Friday off and brought my mom and Molly to Evergreen for a hike (about 2.5 miles). It started at over 10,500' so it was a lot higher in elevation but the views along the hike and at the top made up for it tenfold! It was a gorgeous day up in the mountains.


It was the same day as the Aurora Theater shooting, so it was nice to get out to the mtns and clear the head a little. I had texts from friends back east that morning and had not seen the news yet. It has impacted the community a lot and hopefully there are good things that come from this. It is crazy how connected to it I feel being so close, and having a few connections that make it hit home a bit closer. I still tear up at all the news articles and hope the stories that emerge are of the heroes and the victims from this tragedy.




Sisters!
I think she is enjoying the hike!
  
Almost there!


Made it! Chief Mountain
Mt. Bierstadt, 14,060'
One of the reasons of my moms visit was to climb her first 14er! My god parents drove from Albuquerque to make the hike as well! It was also their first 14er. Aaron joined us as the expert for the day. He also wrote a great recap here.


It was a fabulous day filled with fun, excitement, tired legs, exhaustion, enjoyment and more. Within the first mile my mom had fallen in a creek - but we quickly recovered and were back on the trail. The weather was perfect with our early 6am start, but the crowds were plentiful. It took about 3 hours to get to the top where we enjoyed some nourishment and where my godfather took an unfortunate spill RIGHT at the summit. Luckily Auntie Annie was well prepared with her first aid kit and they booked it down the mountain. Mom was slow moving and being very careful. It was amazing to share this experience with my mom and my aunt and uncle and I couldn't be more proud of them! Not many folks I know their age would ever attempt this. So kudos to them! Wonderful day :-)


Headed up!

Summit pics!

Can't beat these views...
What is next
I think I mentioned AA and I are training for the Aetna Park to Park 10 miler over Labor Day. I decided to hold off on another tri until next summer and I will plan more for summer 2013. The rest of 2012 will be running, cross training, and more 14ers! La Plata is planned for Saturday :-) Plus a trip back east for a week that we are SO excited about!

No comments:

Post a Comment