Saturday, October 20, 2012

Boulder 13.1 Preview

My first half marathon is almost here....tomorrow!!! I was not that nervous this week, but sitting here - the night before the race, I am definitely more nervous than I thought....but not as nervous as I was for my first tri. I think the 10 mile race helped to ease my nerves a bit over Labor Day and the runs to work. It seems so long ago since my last long run so that makes me doubt myself! I am scared of the new and unknown and the fact my running hasn’t felt great the last two weeks. I am hoping all the training shows on Sunday! 

I have had an itch in my throat all week. I traveled to Nebraska this past weekend, so I was worried about catching something on the plane, plus everyone seems to be sick! It only hurts a little in the morning mostly so I think it will be OK :-)

Running last week went well – I ran 80% of my normal amount. I ran Mon/Tues/Thurs/Sat. I ran 2 miles on the treadmill Monday and then two 4 mile runs outside on Tuesday/Thursday. Saturday I ran a 10K in Nebraska at a vineyard!

This week:
Monday – 2.5 miles on treadmill felt awful. Lungs really hurt
Wednesday – 3.5 miles on treadmill (small incline) – felt better still tired
Friday – 2 slow miles on treadmill - felt pretty good
Saturday – went to Boulder to pick up the race packet
Sunday (Race morning): Race starts at 8 AM and they advise you to get there at 7 AM and allow for parking traffic. Boulder is about 45ish minutes from the house so the plan is to leave around 6:15 AM. AA is driving us up and my friend Katie is riding with us (running ½ as well), should be fun!

The race swag is pretty sweet. Check out the race shirt! The logo and hat are cool too. I really want a race medal (never gotten one before) –but it doesn’t look like we get one :-) Maybe next time! 

Race hat, long sleeve tech tee, pint glass and howling moon bib (not shown: poster)
Expectations: Best case I am hoping to get a 10:45 pace = 2 hrs, 21 min.
More reasonable expectation is an 11 min pace so that would be 2 hrs, 24ish min. With the upper limit hoping that I at least get under 2 hrs, 30 min!

AA, being great as usual, is making my carbo-load pre-race meal of spaghetti with chicken and PBC bread...YUM! It smells delicious right now :-)
AA cooking tonight :-)
Weather: arrival time of 7 AM weather is 48 degrees, 49 at race start (8 AM) and 56 by 10 AM. I am thinking shorts and a tech tee should be good - assuming it will feel about 10 degrees warmer running. I am going to wear my sunglasses, hat, brace and probably my new hydration belt. I am going to stick with my last test mode of gu at 4 miles and 8 miles.

OK dinner time! Wish me luck :-)

3 comments:

  1. Good luck -- all the preparations will pay off and you'll definitely have a 'new' personal best! Enjoy the experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! I was really happy about it, hopefully a post later today :-)

      Delete