Monday, October 8, 2012

Running to Work

Yet again I find myself starting out with the phrase, “It has been too long since I last updated this blog”. Nonetheless, I will update piecemeal as I can!
Just over 2 weeks until the ½ marathon! Training has been going really well. I don’t think my overall weekly mileage is as high as it should be, but this is what I had planned and was really trying to only run three times per week. When I was running four times per week is when I got my overuse/tendonitis injury and I am trying to baby it. Mission accomplished. Although I do feel pain on the outside of both legs after longer runs, the pain has usually subsided after a day of rest. 


So as I mentioned in the last post – the weekends have been piling up and long runs did not look good! I was able to get my long runs in with some creativity though! So since the 10 mile race, I have gotten in long runs 4 out of the 5 weekends. The first week I did a 10 mile run on the highline. I had a great 12.7 mile run at sea-level back in Massachusetts – what a difference! The wine tasting went better than expected in Napa and there was no run across the Golden Gate bridge. I was really worried about the last 2 weekends, but I decided to try running to work the past 2 Fridays! It is just over 11 miles and ½ of it is on the Highline Canal trail which I like going to anyways. I take public transportation to work (takes about 45 minutes), so this seemed like a great solution and was able to get in the run as the weekends are so busy.
Before I get in to the long runs – my schedule over the last couple weeks has basically been 3 runs per week with 4 or 5 miles each during the week and a long run on the weekend (10+). The past 3 weeks have been 20+ miles.


Friday September 28th
After not sleeping great because I was really nervous, I got up at 5 AM because I wanted to have a quick cup of coffee and yogurt before I left for the run. It was still dark out, and hard to get motivated to go run for over 2 hours all uphill! Not to mention, I was pretty scared running in the dark! I finally got out the door at 5:45 with a little bit of encouragement from AA, but not before snapping this awesome pre-run picture!

The first ½ of the route is a little over 5 miles going to the canal trail. Within the first mile I had to try and tighten my hydration belt. I had to do this 2 more times before I finally fixed it at about mile 5. While it may seem tight you have to put it on super tight so it doesn’t bounce around. So that was annoying. I was feeling and was taking it slow. I needed water early and often, which I wasn’t used to. At about 3 ½ miles I saw 2 coyotes! I was pretty scared as one kept staring at me (still dark) so I took a detour uphill to avoid their route. By the time I got to the canal trail at 5.5 miles I need a rest. I took my gu and water and walked a little bit. The canal trail portion is about 3.5 – 4miles and luckily it is flat. I could tell I was getting super tired though as this should have been fairly easy. Around mile 9 I was trying to find my turn off and had to turn around. I walked again. After finding the right route the last 2 miles were variations of walking and running and trying to keep going. I couldn’t believe how tired I was! The last mile is a nice uphill section in to the sun (without sunglasses), so this was tough. I made it work, finally, with a watch time of 2 hours, 5 minutes (11:10 pace), but that didn’t include the walking and stopping – so it was more like 2.5 hours. Ouch!

We headed to the Sand Dunes that night, which is probably my new favorite spot in Colorado. I felt pretty bad Friday night and just wanted to go to bed! Here are some pics though, we had an amazing time.
AA and the pups

Kung Fu Panda much?
View of the Dunes from Zapata Falls
Sunset

Friday October 5th 
Thursday night was pretty busy getting ready for company, baking, trip to work, etc – and heading to bed I wasn’t really too sure what I was going to do when I woke up. I was deciding hopefully between either lots of laps at Wash Park or attempt the run to work again, and hopefully not option three of doing nothing.
Woke up at 5 AM again and had the coffee and yogurt. I slept really well, a little shorter than my preferred 8 hours, but pretty much straight through. I had decided I should go for the run to work as it is a better training option for the ½ (HM). I had layed out my clothes the night before. It went from 80 on Thursday to about 30 overnight on Friday. I had my running tights, a dry fit long sleeve, a zip down running jacket and then my fleece vest plus gloves and my ear band. As I was changing I happened to look outside (still dark) and noticed it had snowed! The weather forecasters said it most likely would not, and only a dusting if anything. Liars! 

Snow!
Here I go!
AA got me out the door at about 5:45 again and I was running the first 2 miles with snow on the sidewalks. I was nervous my feet were going to be freezing! My hydration belt felt great though and I did not have to fidget with it once. I had decided I should try and get more nutrients and was planning on taking 1 gu at mile 4 and a 2nd gu at mile 8. As I started off, I was really just thinking about the snow and sort of got lost in my thoughts. Next thing I knew the first turn at mile 2 was done and I had some water at mile 3. Luckily there was no coyote sightings at 3 ½ and I stopped at mile 4 quickly for my gu and water. I continued on and hit the trail just after 5 miles (no detour this week so mileage a little different). As I continued along the trail I noticed how much better I was feeling and remembering how at certain points I was struggling the prior week. I took another sip of water at mile 6 and my layering felt perfect. I couldn’t help but stop and take a few quick pictures – the combination of the fall colors, first snowfall and the sunrise was just incredible! 
Fall colors + first snow fall = gorgeous

Amazing morning on the Highline
At mile 8 I even continued running while I had the gu and water, which was a first. A quick fox sighting, but no detour needed. I got off the trail just before 9 miles and couldn’t believe there were only 2 miles left. I made it up the final hills without problems (just slow). I finished in barely less time than last week, 2 hours and 3 minutes (11:08 pace), but I know I ran more and didn’t need to stop for breaks and was not dying. I liked having the 2 energy gels and I think I will try and do that for the HM in 2 weeks as well!
Looking Forward
For the next two weeks I want to keep running 3 times per week, just drop the mileage a little. We are headed to Nebraska for a family wedding next weekend and we are doing a 10k on Saturday so that will serve as my long run and then maybe 2 four mile runs during the week. The following week I will take it easy as well for the race on Sunday! Unfortunately my Aunt and Uncle cannot make it out for the race in Boulder, but luckily we are doing the 10K together next weekend so it works out!

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome that you can run to work. Albany is not that runner friendly! You'll do great on your half, the first half I ran, the furthest I had run was 6.5 (which I was running 3-4 times a week) and I ran at the pace I anticipated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ya its pretty neat/convenient to spice things up! I hope I'm ready! I wish my long runs weren't 50% of my weekly mileage at the end but something to work on for next time! Sounds like your first one went as planned too! Good job on your first run back!

      Delete