Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Tri Season to Begin Early!


I came off a good weekend of training (see below), so obviously I spent some of my Monday morning checking out what races are in the area (again). One that I had my eye on was the Loveland Lake to Lake this Saturday June 23rd. Since it was an Olympic distance, I didn’t think I was ready for this yet, and I wanted the Boulder Peak to be my first Olympic! To my surprise Monday morning, the Loveland race added a Sprint distance!

Quickly my mind races…could I do this…what do I have planned? I shoot an email to Aaron with the thought and without hesitation he says go for it! I had already signed up by the time he responded :-) Sunday Kels and I are hiking a 14er but Sat AM was free, so why not! It’ll be a great brick work-out too! I am not too sure of the course yet, so I am interested in what it will be!

Now for a recap of the workouts this weekend:
Saturday
5 mile AM run at Wash Park. I had hoped do closer to 7 miles, but after the first loop, my body was not feeling it. I had to walk for about a tenth, and grabbed water. The second lap went pretty good, I should have pushed to keep going an extra mile. AA and I had plans to check out a bike auction though, so I figured 5 miles was torture enough!
Post run
Slower than I'd like...but happy I went

Love Wash Park
Sunday
1.2 mile open water swim at Grant Ranch! My longest to date! I did not realize until this morning that it was 1.2 miles, not the 1 mile that I had thought. It helps to know since it took me about 50 minutes and I was anticipating closer to 45 minutes. Swimming felt good, and I did not get as nervous as last time. Being in the water definitely takes its toll. My swim cap was coming off the last 5 minutes or so and I was so ready to be out of there! I hadn’t swam this full course yet, so I had a lot of sighting to do. Overall though, it felt great. I felt like I had the endurance to make it this far, and puts me to ease for the swim. I am not super fast – but I know most importantly, I can swim the distance!

After the swim, I changed and moved my car over to the high school. The plan was a 17 mile route that took me to Bear Creek Lake Park from Grant Ranch, around the park – and home. The way there went fairly well. I stopped about 1 tenth from the pull in to the park, not realizing it was straight ahead. Once I got to the park, it was so beautiful! It went around Fox Hollow golf course – but I made a wrong turn…or lack of a turn actually. I ended up going further east along another trail and did not loop back around the park. I am not surprised since I have a horrible sense of direction. It was not too big of a deal – but the way back to my car was kind of ugly. I had to ride on Wadsworth, and did so mostly on the sidewalks as it’s a very busy road. I really want to go back and make the loop at Bear Creek – it is so beautiful!

actually got this one!

Approaching Bear Creek Lake Park

Foothills outside Denver - I want to live here
The blue circle below is where I should have turned to make the loop, instead I headed in to Wadsworth Park – which is actually a great trail system. It turned out OK. I saw my first snake in CO though! I ran right over it, it made my skin crawl!
Bike - Grant Ranch to Bear Creek Lake Park and Lost...
Outlook
Monday – 4 mile run (check! – ran during lunch – slower, but felt good!)
Tuesday –  bike 2 work (check! - tired but fastest time!)
Wednesday— AM swim, 4-5 mile run
Thursday— bike 2 work
Friday – REST
Saturday – Sprint Tri!

Bike Addition
I scored myself a ‘rescued’ bike from the Denver County Bike Auction! It was super fun, never been to anything like it. Governor Hickenlooper was there, even spotted him incognito (before emcee acknowledged him!). Walked away with a great around town bike. Afterwards, got some lights, kickstand, new tired, and water bottle holder!
Governor Hickenlooper!

Auction! You can't see all the people! I'd say 150 ppl!

Right outta the gate!
It took its first spin to Jazz in the Park on Sunday evening, so I added another 11 miles to biking for this week! I need to get smaller city tires this week, but other than it – it is a keeper! I finally have a city bike after mine got stolen at the light rail last year. I got a U-lock which will hopefully hold against the thieves! Boo!

Course Outlook
Well I wasn’t able to post this Monday – and they have since posted the course!
  • 750 yard swim
  • 15 mile bike
  • 4.3 mile run (around Lake Loveland)
Swim – 750m
I am excited the run is a little longer than a normal sprint course (3.1 miles). I am most scared of the run, so this will be a great training exercise :-)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great 'training opportunity - hard to imagine the thing you prepped so hard for last year is now a 'training opportunity,' but it's a reflection of your hard work over the last year! And then a '14k er' for a cooldown the next day...

    ReplyDelete