Friday, March 23, 2012

Small setback but big strides!

Well last Thursday (March 15th) I went for a great run outside at work! I did the 3.2 loop - 1 mile run, .25 walk; repeat; .7 mile run = 2.7 miles running, .5 walking - very pleased! That was the 3rd run of the week and had 2 good bike rides at work so I didn't work out on Friday or Saturday. Then Sunday I woke up with a horrible pain in my hip!! It was the outside part of my left hip (same as bad ankle) almost seemed to be the part where hip connects to leg! All Sunday and Monday I was limping. I was so upset since I didn't know what it was and had been over two days since my last workout. I took some ibuprofen and iced it. I tried running Monday just incase it miraculously went away...but after 1/2 mile I couldn't run any more! I dropped to PT once a week (Fridays) so I had a while before I was going to see the doctor. I continued to ice it throughout the week. I continued to bike/elliptical and even got in a swim on Tuesday night (which didn't hurt at all). Fast forward to this morning at PT - after some movements to see where the stress was coming from, the doctor said the pain seemed to come from my socket as my hip moved inwards. He showed me some stretches to do for the hip flexor and wasn't too alarmed. This was the first time it has happened and was hopefully it was just because I am getting back in to things. It has felt 10x better and I was able to run yesterday! My first mile was actually sub 10 minutes! I had to double check my watch :-) The rest of the run felt great too and finished a minute faster than the previous two runs!

I was also very excited to get back to the pool this week! There was only one spot open (fast lane) so I decided to go for it. I ended up doing 36 lengths and a third person didn't ask to join. I felt out of place, but so much more confident than the first time I was in the fast lane. Lap swim starts at 6:30 and I think I got in the pool around 6:40? It seemed more clear at 7. I think I either need to be there right at 6:30 or wait until 7 to go!

Today was actually a great workout day too. I had PT at 6:30am, and while I only do a 10 minute elliptical workout, I know my ankle is strengthening. I then dropped my car off for an oil change and decided to bring my bike so I wouldn't have to wait around. It was only 2 miles - but they count! I had a great bike during lunch at the gym at work. I decided to stand up and pedal for the really hard hill in the middle of my course, at level 13, for over 3 minutes! That ride ended up being almost 7 miles (30 minutes). Plus 2 more miles back to get my car and a mile each way to Wash Park to meet my friend Dolan for dinner = 13 miles! One mile past what I'll need for the biking section of the tri :-) My car said it was 80 today, (76 officially) so it was nice hang out at Wash Park for a bit!

Tomorrow will be a rest day! 5 days in a row, I am tired! BUTTT big news is that I am hoping to get my bike tomorrow! I shared the Marin I have my eye on at REI. There is also a bike sale at Bicycle Village in Boulder tomorrow that I want to go to. If I find something better I'll do that - free maintenance for life! Otherwise I'll go for the Marin, I am really excited! I already ordered a U bike lock and new bike lights to go on it :-)

Waiting for AA to get home from work :-) Tomorrow we are having breakfast with our friends Matt and Casey and Baby O and hopefully up to Boulder! Then Hunger Games at 7! We already have our tickets too :-) The weekend weather is in the mid 70s, can't get enough! Hopefully a Sunday morning run and then riding the (new?) bike up to a volunteer meeting in the old neighborhood! Might be 30 minute ride or so?

I never put up a picture of my new shoes (which are great)
Saucony Triump 9. They are still feeling great! I would add a picture of the run, but it's the same route :-) I'll have to see if I can overlay two runs and compare my paces! That'd be really fun in a few months!



Last bit of news - all signed up for the Bolder Boulder! I think I may have already shared this. But it is a 10k over Memorial Day weekend. I just found out this morning my Uncle James is going to be joining Aaron and I to run it! It will be great - he was a big inspiration for my running as he went to barely being able to walking a mile - to having completed 4 marathons to this point (and one under 4 hours to reach his goal)! It took a long time of hardwork and determination but it showed me that anyone can get up and run. You  may have to start out walking, and walking, and walking more. But eventually that walk turns to a jog, jog to a run and then a longer run :-) We got to run his last visit last May in Wash Park (I think I only made it 3 miles!) so this will be great to do!  

Ok maybe one chart! My pace! I would say it is pretty consistent - you can see the two dips where I walk. The one at the end is waiting for the traffic light :-) I think around the middle is where I hit the hill but it doesn't change too too much.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment