Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Been a week....bike...snowshoe...great!

The training has gone well over the past week! I struggled a bit with excess eating this weekend - but that is something else...

I have gotten in two swims since the last blog. One on Thursday - which almost didn't happen. A friend from home asked to grab a drink last minute since she was in Denver for the night, so we met for a drink (IPA nonetheless) :-) I made the good decision to still go to the pool after! Did 40 lengths and felt good, but funny after an IPA :-) Friday went in early to work to get in a bike workout since I took a half day. I was tired though! Only 5.5 miles during the 30 minute time.  Tough week!

No work yesterday and no workout but today got in a bike workout (6.9 miles) in 30 minutes and just got back from a swim! 40 lengths and felt great! I am still doing the 10 lengths and breaking. I can tell the breaths between each length is getting smaller and smaller. Next week I am hoping to either do another 5 or 10 laps, or extend the 10 lengths to 15 lengths between breaths.

Two other exciting things happened this weekend in the tri spectrum.
First on Saturday Aaron and I went to REI and test rode some bikes!!
The first was the Marin Terra Linda bike:
 It is a road bike but slightly hybrid. It felt great on the test ride! I couldn't believe how easy it was ride! The gears were great and it wasn't as hard to ride a road bike as I had thought. This bike is $769

The second bike I looked at was the Cannondale Quick 4 at $629. The tires were a tiny bit bigger which I liked since I'll also be riding it around town. It didn't seem as comfortable but I realized afterwards that I had a Men's bike, whoops! I definitely think one of these two bikes would be wonderful for the Tri and around town. I need to go back for a second ride around and read a few more reviews but they both seem like great bikes.
The other exciting even this weekend was the snowshoe that Aaron and I went on! Aaron already wrote a great write up at Colorado Rambler - his blog! It was a great 5.28 mile hike up and back to Lost Lake in Nederland, CO. One of the cool things was I brought my Garmin Forerunner 110 GPS watch! I had used it a few times for runs and a bike ride, but with my ankle I had only done 3 or 4. Also this was the first time I downloaded the data to my computer. Being an actuary, I love stats and numbers...and this had lots! It showed speed, distance and even elevation! We were able to look this over each mile and see which were the harder areas, etc. The watch also comes with a heart rate monitor, but I didn't wear it for the snowshoe. Below are two of the images from the stats showing the route (from GPS) and the elevation chart!
 So a pretty good week and I am excited to get going on the exercises this week. It felt great to be out and do some cross-training! I love getting outside and getting a workout in :-) 

The doctor also called today and my shoe insert orthodics have arrived! I am going on Friday to get them fitted, and am hoping to go to Boulder Running Company after work to find some new sneakers! Physical Therapy starts a week from tomorrow so I might even be able to run again soon! My ankle didn't hurt at all during the snowshoe. The outside part of my left leg felt a little inflamed the next day, but my calves also are still very sore! 

Happy training!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Great write up on the progress and the differences in the two bikes. I'm digging the pics of bikes and the Garmin screen shots too! Also, thanks for the shoutout:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amanda! I didn't realize you were training for a Tri! That's awesome! I haven't made the leap over to the other side yet, but I hope to soon. I'll definitely be following your progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Christine! Starting out small but so far so good! From reading your blog, which is great, it seems like you are doing so much too! Bummer about the no snow for snowshoeing though!

    ReplyDelete